The Greenway Code for cyclists on UK towpaths:
1. Please keep an eye out for ‘no cycling’ signs along the way. Not all towpaths are open for cycling.
2. Pedestrians have priority on towpaths!
3. Avoid cycling where your tyres would damage the path or verges (e.g. when they are wet or soft).
4. Watch out for anglers’ tackle and please give them time to move it before you try to pass.
5. Never race one another or perform speed trials on towpaths! If you need to get somewhere quickly, use the road.
6. Give way to oncoming people beneath bridges and be extra careful at bends and entrances where visibility is limited.
7. Try to avoid wearing headphones as this makes you less aware of your surroundings and possible hazards. You may also miss out on the birds singing!
8. At all times, please share the space and consider other people and the local environment.